So soil is here

 Or more exactly Compost. Seems like a lot of bio-char in this. Very dry but full of organic matter. Enough structure I should be able to avoid mixing in my woody composed mulch. But it is definitely getting some weathered manure. 

Been experimenting with using feed bags. Ended up cutting them into sheets. Then halving them again to use as you see burlap bags used on saplings. Seem to get a pint and a half in the middle. Add the graft. Make sure the roots are centered. Then another pint and a half on top. Burying the roots. Fold up the tips. Zip tie bag around the graft.

Then poke drainage holes and let them soak in a tote. I really did not like this. But today; some of the grafts in bags are taking off.  This means I will have to keep putting them in and out of a tote though. 

I doubt this will be my go to method. But useful to park grafts to grow a while until suitable pots emerge. I fear to much soil will leech out this way long term. 

Very glad the scions I sent to UGA Botanical Gardens were delivered. I hope they have success top grafting them. 

Lastly feeling guilty on my grafts. G.214 root stock is getting about to my level of stooling the rest. Worked hard on P.2 and a few on M111 today. Got another dozen grafts made. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First outing with inexpensive foreign grafting tool with omega head